Career Services Workshop
Join Our Career Services Workshop!
Stop by the PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY AND ACCOUNTING Software. Where your success is our FIRST priority. You are invited to participate as we begin our Career Services Workshop’s new schedule for current students and previous graduates.
Class Times: Fridays 1 PM – 5 PM or *Saturdays 10 AM – 2 PM
*Saturday workshops are provided when there is a holiday the previous Monday and PITA campus is closed.
- January 2, 2023 New Years
- February 20, 2023 Presidents Day
- September 4, 2023 Labor Day
- January 16, 2023 MLK Day
- May 29, 2023 Memorial Day
- October 9, 2023 Columbus Day
Professional Institute of Technology and Accounting provides career assistance to all graduates in good standing. PITA employs a career services department who assists students with resume development, interview skills and career search techniques.
Career services personnel will advise you on available careers in the area for which you have been trained. Employers are also invited to come to the campus for career interview sessions with our students and graduates.
In addition, for our Business Solutions, we will provide the opportunity for internships with our partner employers. Only the students who are satisfactorily progressing through their program will be allowed to participate in internships. Internships typically last no more than 3 months. They are not guaranteed to all students and are available as our employer partners request students. Attendance or conduct issues are grounds for ineligibility for career services. Once denied services, a meeting with the Director to reinstate eligibility is required.
Although Professional Institute of Technology and Accounting cannot guarantee employment for its graduates, every reasonable effort will be made to assist students in this process.
This is a lecture-lab workshop in which the instructor presents topics. Hands-on activities are demonstrated and practiced by the student. Assigned activities can be performed during designated times by instructor and outside of workshop time. Supplemental materials provided via online video (Clark County Library card required)
C. WORKSHOP OBJECTIVES
1. Introduction to Career Services at PITA 4. Interview:
Preparation / Mock Interviews
Goals, My Facts sheet, ONET Interest Profiler, and Big 5 personality Creation of accounts: LinkedIn Profile, Email, Portfolio, other career websites 5. Successful follow-up: Thank you notes, phone calls and salary negotiation
3. Document Writing:
Introduction letter, Cover letter, Resume and Thank you Note writing 6. Soft Skills: Once you have the job how to keep it.
D. COURSE TOPICS
Successful follow-up Day Six: Soft Skills
E. TEXT AND REQUIRED SUPPLIES
1. Spiral Notebook with pockets, folder to store your documents
2. USB flash drive for saving documents
3. Professional email account First Name Last Name @ email.com ex. [email protected] or [email protected]
4. Writing utensil
5. Clark County Library Card with Number and Pin
Optional 48 Days to the work and life you love book and workbook by Dan Miller
How to Find a Job & Keep it workbook by Nancy McRight
F. CLASSROOM RULES OF CONDUCT
1. When in doubt, ask your instructor. The instructor cares about your success and will make every effort to cooperate and support you.
2. No personal cell phone use is permitted during lecture periods. Phones should be off or on vibrate and put away during instructional time (Emergency calls should be taken in student break room or LV-PITA courtyard area.
3. Portable computers may be used during lecture periods for note taking.
4. Personal Internet use is not permitted.
5. Food and snacks are not permitted in the classroom. This includes plate lunches, candy, etc. whether opened or not. Beverages are permitted only if in a non-spill able container.
6. Class lab time is for completing daily assignments for the course. Attendance and work on assignments are expected. Work at home will be required in addition to work during lab times.
7. Treat everyone in class as if you were in a professional environment: Listen, communicate professionally, keep personal opinions and off topic discussions for breaks outside of the classroom.
8. If there is an issue, please consult with your instructor with respect to the learning environment and others focusing on the course. Unwanted confrontational behavior during class toward others or the instructor is considered “obstruction to the learning environment” and will be immediately reported to Operations Manager to solve the problems.
H. EMERGENCY PROCEDURES
1. Evacuation procedures — see instructions posted in the classroom, or hallways. 2. First aid kit — located in front desk.
3. Emergency ambulance – Dial 911.
Please Note: A “tentative” schedule helps the instructor from “running out of time”
and keeps students informed of assignments and all course content if they lose
information or must be absent.
DATE DAY TOPIC/ACTIVITY
Day 1 SAT 1/7 Objective:
Introduction to Career Services • Introduction your instructor • Introduction PITA (Mission, Vision and learning outcomes) • Introduction Students • Overview of the entire career services process • Career Checklist
Day 2 FRI 1/13 Objective:
Preparation • Goals reviews • My Facts Sheet • ONET Interest Profiler • Big 5 personality test IPIP Report • Setup LinkedIn Profile, email, Adobe portfolio • Master application • Recruiters / Temp Agencies
Day 3 SAT 1/21 Objective:
Document Writing • Introduction letter • Cover letter • Resume • Thank you note
Day 4 FRI 1/27 Objective:
Interview Preparation • Types of interviews (individual, group, panel, telephone, video, and AI) • Interview preparation • What to wear • Interview questions • Questions to ask the interviewer
Day 5 FRI 2/3 Objective:
Successful follow-up • Thank you note after the interview • Follow up phone call • Job offers and salary negotiation
Day 6 FRI 2/10 Objective:
Soft Skills You have the job how to keep it • Communication • Enthusiasm & Attitude • Teamwork • Networking • Problem Solving & Critical Thinking • Professionalism
Videos used in workshops: ·
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/resume-makeover/ 1h 55m
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/rock-your-linkedin-profile/ 1h 22m
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/learning-linkedin-2022/ 1h 45m
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/job-seeker-tips/ 17m · https://www.linkedin.com/learning/cv-success-master-class/ 52m
Syllabus under review periodically